Two men plead guilty to assaulting law enforcement officers in the Jan. 6 capitol breach | USAO-DC

WASHINGTON — Two New York men today pleaded guilty to assaulting law enforcement officers during the January 6, 2021 breach of the U.S. Capitol that disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress who was verifying and counting electoral votes related to the presidential election.

According to court documents, Cody Mattice, 29, of Greece, New York, and James Phillip Mault, 30, formerly of Brockport, New York, who now resides in Fayetteville, North Carolina, were among those who marched to the US Capitol on January 1. 6 and attacking law enforcement officers. Mattice carried a video camera and recorded videos of himself, Mault and others. En route to the Capitol, Mattice checked in, saying, “This is about to go crazy.”

The two men arrived at the Capitol grounds and joined others in advancing toward the police perimeter in West Plaza. At around 2:30 p.m., Mattice pulled down a segment of the metal barricades that stood in front of a police cordon. He quickly grabbed him with both hands, pulling him away from the officers and throwing him to the ground. Shortly after, rioters overwhelmed the police cordon, forcing officers to retreat to a central staircase leading to the lower west terrace. Mattice and Mault were part of the group that attacked the police cordon. They stood at or near the front of the group, pushing forward the officers, who were trying to stop the rioters from advancing.

Around 4 p.m., Mattice and Mault approached the tunnel leading to the Capitol building from the lower west terrace. After reaching the tunnel, they clung and clung to the wooden frame surrounding the arch. Mattice reached out to another rioter and grabbed a small object that appeared to be a cartridge. He then sprayed a chemical spray on the officers. After that, Mattice fell back and into the crowd. Mault also obtained a small canister containing chemical spray from another member of the crowd, and he too sprayed it at the officers defending the tunnel. Mault also obtained a second round from the mob and provided it to another rioter.

Mattice was arrested on October 7, 2021 in Hilton, New York. Mault was arrested the same day in Fort Bragg, North Carolina. They face a legal maximum of eight years in prison for assaulting, resisting or impeding officers. The charge also carries potential financial penalties. Both men are due to be sentenced on July 15, 2022. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after considering US sentencing guidelines and other statutory factors.

The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Counterterrorism Section of the National Security Division of the Department of Justice. Valuable assistance was provided by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York and the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina.

The case is being investigated by the FBI’s Washington field office, which identified Mattice as #284 and Mault as #142 in its fact-finding photos, and by the Department of Metropolitan Police, with significant assistance provided by the United States Capitol Police and the FBI’s Buffalo Field. Office.

In the 15 months since Jan. 6, 2021, nearly 800 people have been arrested in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 250 people charged with assaulting or obstructing the ‘law application. The investigation is still ongoing.

Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit

Source link